Hello to our Hingham, MA families! We are so happy to share this important oral health information with you! Flossing is an important aspect of oral hygiene for people of all ages, including babies and children. Proper oral care from a young age can help prevent dental issues and establish good dental hygiene habits for life. Here are some guidelines for flossing for babies and children:
1. Start Early: You can begin flossing your child’s teeth as soon as they have two teeth that touch each other. This typically occurs around the age of 2 to 2.5 years.
2. Choose the Right Floss: Use a soft, flexible floss designed for children. You can find floss picks or flossers with handles that are easier for children to use than traditional floss.
3. Supervise and Assist: Young children lack the dexterity to floss effectively on their own, so you will need to help them. Use gentle, back-and-forth motions to clean between their teeth. Be patient and gentle to avoid causing any discomfort.
4. Teach Proper Technique: As your child gets older (around 6 to 7 years old), you can teach them how to floss independently. Show them the correct technique, emphasizing the importance of being gentle to avoid hurting their gums.
5. Make it Fun: Turn flossing into a fun and positive experience. You can use kid-friendly floss with characters, play their favorite music during flossing time, or use a timer to make it a game.
Remember that good dental hygiene practices established in childhood can set the foundation for a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums. Encourage your child to develop these habits early to help prevent dental problems in the future.
South Shore Children’s Dentistry, which is conveniently located just minutes from Hingham, MA is always accepting new patients. Call today! 781.383.0003